Friday 6 March 2015

The makings of a literature cuff bangle

Have you ever walked through an art gallery and pondered what went into the creation of that sculpture or painting you really admire?  Have you ever looked at a handmade creation on Etsy or Madeit, perhaps even a Two Cheek Monkeys piece, and wondered the same thing?
Well, today I am sharing with you a little of what goes into the creation of one of my cabochon-embellished literature cuff bangles!


First, I decide which literary character I want to highlight and find a suitable bit of text to cut up for the jewellery (this can lead to all kinds of distraction, such as re-reading my favourite chapter, or even the whole book!)


Then comes the slowest part, insetting the snippet of book page into the jewellery.  Why is this bit slow?  Not because I get sidetracked reading the novel, but because the resin glaze I use in the insetting process needs several hours (sometimes longer) to dry after each coat.


While I wait for the resin to dry and cure, I set about the task of sorting through the available cabochons and deciding on a colour scheme and layout for the piece(s) I am creating.  This part is kind of like a kid sorting through their lollies/candy to decide which ones to eat!


Of course, the most fun part is last - gluing on all those pretty floral cabochons and rhinestones!  This part of the process takes some time too because I have to allow time for the glue to set on one section before I can start on another section.


After all that, I end up with some beautiful literature bangles which I am tempted to keep for myself!  But I am always so thrilled when they head off to new homes and my customers tell me a little about why they love the piece or why they are buying it for their loved one.
So there you have it, a little peek into my day here at Two Cheeky Monkeys HQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love finding out what my readers think, so thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment!