Monday 7 January 2013

Bias, Bias and More Bias...Tape That Is!

image bias tape polka dot blue white make your own

Do you remember this post all the way back from last year (he he he) when I said that I was going to challenge my sewing skills this summer?  Well, I was pretty keen to get started on the bias tape making, and now that I've started, it's getting hard to stop!  So far I have made bias tapes from both modern and vintage fabric, I've used cotton and polycotton fabrics and I've made bias tapes cut on the bias and along the grain of the fabric (which is fine for sewing in straight lines or corners, but is it technically bias tape?)

image make your own bias tape vintage bed sheet linent green rose lime white

These first two bias tapes are destined to be turned into doily and book page buntings for Domum Vindemia, although I am also toying with the idea of offering several meteres of bias tape in a blog giveaway.  What do you think?  The bias tape below was made to complement the faux bois fabrics I chose for my fabric envelope (see below for a sneak peek).

image bias tape aqua white floral dais aqua pretty little things by Dena Designs Free Spirit

The only real problem I have had with my bias tape making is the tendency to forget to measure accurately and properly before cutting into the fabric.  The first lot of bias tape I made was mis-measured because I wasn't paying attention.  This meant that the inner folds of the bias tape ended up very narrow, making the tape kind of hard to use!  But I'm glad to have finally learned this very useful sewing technique - I think it's going to add a new level to my creative pursuits.

image fabric envelope faux bois fabric black and white turquoise and brown

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love finding out what my readers think, so thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment!