Wednesday 30 June 2010

Wordy Wednesday


I know that Wordless Wednesday posts are more the norm than Wordy Wednesday posts, but today I wanted to post about something which I have been thinking about for some time.  Today I want to discuss words and how I use them, especially in my day to day interactions with others.  I know this post covers a more serious topic than I normally write about, but I hope you will all benefit from it anyway.
As someone who frequently blogs, writes item descriptions and chats on Twitter, Facebook and various online forums, my words, and the ways in which I use them, affect not just the people I see face to face, but also people whom I might never meet in person.
I see the way my words affect people quite clearly each day when I see my girls' reactions to the things I say to them or hear them mimicking my speech patterns in their conversations with each other.  So, I have been thinking about some of the Bible verses I have read which address the issue of how we use our words.  I realise that many of you may not share the same faith and beliefs that I do, but I think the principles behind these verses are ones to which many people can relate.


One of the first that came to mind was James 1:19-20 which says, "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's [or woman's] anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires."  Ashamedly, I often find that I am slow to listen and quick to become angry, rather than the converse which is recommended in the first part of these verses.  While I am not perfect and can let tiredness, stress or hormones get the better of me, these really are no excuse for the way I find myself responding to others.  Not that there isn't a time and place for appropriate anger, I'm just saying that my first response is often NOT the most appropriate one.
Two other verses which remind me of the importance of watching my speech are Proverbs 12:18, "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing." and Proverbs 16:24, "Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  I like these verses because they remind me just how wonderful kind and well-thought words are to those who receive them.  I know from experience how sweet it is to receive an email from a customer telling me how much he/she loves their new purchase, or how happy it makes me to hear my family rave about how great dinner was.  And I see in my girls' faces and postures just how much a few encouraging words from me can lift them up and how low I can tear them down when I shout at them without thinking.
So what am I going to do to improve the way I use my words?  To be honest, I think that this is something that I am going to be working on for the rest of my life, with ups and downs and good days and bad thrown into the mix.  Someone like me probably needs these verses stamped onto my hands and forehead to remind me to think before I blurt out something I cannot take back!  But I am not going to let that put me off.  I plan to pray about it and keep working on improving my failings, one little bit at a time.  Will you help me?

4 comments:

  1. what a beautiful post and something to think about xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll pray for you, and how about you pray for me? It's a hard struggle! Thanks for the post....

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lot of words for a wordless Wednesday! But they are well worth using! As I too have blogged recently on this subject, I think we constantly need reminders. Good post and I love the verses you picked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is right where I am most days. Torn between words.

    Someone once explained harsh words to me this way:
    Saying hurtful things is like pounding a nail in a piece of wood (or a heart). You can remove the nail (apologize), but the hole will still be there...maybe even forever.

    There are many many verses in the Bible that talk about the power of the tongue. There is life and death in it...cursing and blessing...and we must control it like the rudder of a giant ship. Rudders are small in comparison to the size of the ship it steers, but oh the power it has to turn the mightiest of vessels. Like a bit in a horse's mouth. That little piece of metal has the power to turn such a mighty animal.

    We, as women especially, have the power to determine the atmosphere of our houses simply with the power of our tongues.

    ReplyDelete

I love finding out what my readers think, so thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment!