Wednesday 23 June 2010

Relaxing With Some Craft - Card Making

First off today, I want to thank all of my readers for putting up with my rather haphazard and rushed blogging this last month!  As many of you know, we have struggled with an almost continual cycle of illness this year, with each of my family members taking it in turn to be sick.
So today I thought I would blog about some crafting I have been doing once the kids have gone to bed.  I know most sensible mothers dealing with sick kids (or their own illness) would probably drag themselves to bed once the kids are asleep, but I find that picking a simple craft project to tackle really relaxes me.


And when I say simple, I really do mean simple!   I made the card above for a friend of mine who plays the electric organ.  It was fun digging through my various papers and ephemera to find complementary flowers, brads and paper, but it was a struggle for me to cut up the vintage sheet music for the accent on the bottom of the card!


I made this card for my mother-in-law (hmmm...I am suddenly seriously hoping that none of these recipients is reading my blog post...oh well).  I don't consider myself to be very "girly", but I do have a penchant for lace and flowers and thought a combination of the two would work well.


Some of you will have already seen this final card on my store Facebook page.  For those of you who haven't, I made this card for another musical friend, who happens (funnily enough) to play the French horn.  The design of this card was inspired by my vintage art prints, but I used my vintage sheet music for the background since I had already plucked up the courage to start cutting it up.

I am quite pleased with my efforts and have even started researching the possibility of producing vintage art cards to sell in my stores.  But more importantly, I had a great time making these cards and am really hoping that their recipients will feel special receiving them.
So, as I wrap up this blog post, I would love to hear whether you craft or create to relax.  And if you do, which crafty endeavours do you find to be most relaxing?

8 comments:

  1. I absolutely use crafting as an outlet from the everyday routine and stresses. I'm happier and my brain works better when i'm being creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure do-I can shut everything out when I'm creating something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are lovely Deb - I'm not a girly girl either but I think my favourite is the lace one, a great combination of textures and subtle tones.

    And yep, I craft to relax when I can to. It's nice to focus the brain on something simple - very calming, and the bonus is you have some handmade bit of wonderful at the end of it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps. I meant to say - at the moment the thing I most love doing to relax is paper embroidery. If I could ever figure out how to crochet, it'd probably be that, but alas I have no skills there...

    ReplyDelete
  5. These cards are really great - when I make cards, for some reason they always LOOK homemade! I mean in a bad way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Deb,
    Your cards are really nice looking. I totally craft/paint to relax.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like to relax with a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle while hubby watches telly beside me :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love finding out what my readers think, so thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment!